Manager, CAD System
Job Grade - 7
The Manager, CAD System is responsible to lead the CAD Administration team to for any/all tasks delegated from the initial design to project completion.
The Manager, CAD System will be responsible for the maintenance, implementation, and development of the CAD tools in use to meet current and future needs of the business. This will include the development, implementation and maintenance of the CAD tools, CAD tools integration with other current and future systems, development and implementation of processes related to the CAD environment, CAD templates, CAD standards, CAD part catalogues, libraries, system specifications as well as training and support to the end users.
Note: Due to business needs, this position is required to be fully on-site based at 2 Pemberton Avenue, North Vancouver.
- Responsible for CAD software implementation / integration with all VSY systems
- Responsible for CAD database setup / management / administration
- Define the need to BTS for CAD licenses, hardware & software requirements
- Responsible for CAD configuration control (model / MI), and data consistency with all VSY systems (e.g. ARAS / IFS, …etc)
- Responsible for automatic extraction of CAD reports to support business needs
- Provide CAD trainings and technical support to end users.
- Develop strategies, processes, procedures, and WI to improve efficiency and quality in the use of CAD tools
- Develop, implement, and monitor customs tools / macros to enhance system functionality and improve overall performance
- Find opportunities and recommendations for increasing workflow efficiencies.
- Support Digital Twin development and requirements
- Manage CAD hardware and software systems for the end users across the business by work closely with the IT department.
- Maintains a resource and capability plan for area of responsibility.
- Builds team capability by training and developing others to ensure current and future team effectiveness.
- Provides mentoring and technical advice to subordinate resources in the department in support of departmental replacement and succession planning.
- Identifies improvements in departmental processes, tools, and training that can offer increased efficiency, and responsiveness.
- Improve the work environment by promoting teamwork, wellness, workplace flexibility, actively embracing diversity, modeling inclusive behaviors, and increasing leadership engagement.
Education and Experience
- Associate degree in CAD, engineering, a related field, or equivalent
- Experience working with a variety of computer-aided design software, as well as excellent technical, analytical, and organizational skills.
- 10-15 years in experience in Detailed Design in Shipbuilding
- 5-8 years 3D CAD experience
- Experience managing a team
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Demonstrated effective communication across a variety of cultures
- Demonstrated ability to work independently to develop solutions to complex technical CAD problems
- Above average analytical skills to capture and analyze/synthesize data, confirming its accuracy and adequacy as an integral part of the business
- Strong technical writing skills including the ability to produce and present clear detailed written technical specifications, procedures, and reports
- Advanced technical knowledge and marine engineering skills – cross-discipline expertise with design, detail planning, production, piping, structure, nesting and 3D models
- Demonstrated knowledge of 3D CAD tools (ShipConstructor and/or Cadmatic), and AutoCAD software, document control systems and SQL database management.
- Demonstrated knowledge with Navisworks, OneDrive and SharePoint
- Experience in MSSQL and CAD scripting languages, LISP, Diesel, SQL, VBA considered an asset
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Exercise sound judgments and make decisions in a manner consistent with the essential job functions and corporate philosophy
- Advanced PC and Network proficiency required – ability to troubleshoot network, licenses, version control across all MS Office products and LISP programming
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. Furthermore, we are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and we will work with you to support your request.