Sr. Sourcing Contracts Specialist
Job Grade - 5
The Senior Sourcing and Contracts Specialist develops corporate-led procurement programs designed to deliver benefits to the organization by leveraging cross-business unit spend and Seaspan ULC’s position in the marketplace. This includes significant efforts to understand the business’ needs, capture all relevant requirements and pair with the supplier suited to provide Seaspan best value. The role is responsible for managing the sourcing, bid administration, contract drafting, contract review, negotiation, renewals and administration as related to the procurement of goods and services.
Note: This position qualifies for an optional hybrid work schedule after 90 days of onsite work and onboarding. Employee will be subject to the terms of the Flexible Work Policy Agreement.
Duties and Accountabilities
- Implements day-to-day sourcing and contracting initiatives, including sourcing, market analysis, category reviews and risk mitigation strategy development.
- Determines and applies appropriate competitive bid methods to ensure bid processes are conducted in a fair and timely manner while mitigating Seaspan’s exposure to risk.
- Develops competitive tendering (e.g. RFP), administration, analysis and summary recommendation from inception to completion.
- Reviews and negotiates contractual terms and conditions.
- Seeks approval and financial authority to implement agreements.
- Implements contractual agreements reflecting all agreed pricing, schedules, payment terms and conditions to meet company’s expectations and needs.
- Establishes supplier internal approvals, purchase orders and transactional elements to enable agreement payments.
- Performs routine checks-in, providing contract management support and evaluating supplier performance in accordance with agreement and other department KPIs.
- Identifies, develops, leads and implements strategic procurement opportunities.
- Applies cost-benefit analysis to assess opportunities that reduce costs and better serve the business.
- Analyses spending patterns and business processes to recommend changes contributing to cost and operational efficiency.
- Leads sourcing and contracting initiatives to capture and implement identified strategic procurements.
- Provides leadership and technical expertise on supply chain management activities to internal customers, including sourcing and contracting advice and guidance on established agreements.
- Ensures the integration of procurement services processes across Seaspan and extended business partners (suppliers, customers, finance, operations, legal, risk, etc.).
- Provides coaching and mentoring on supply chain management best practices; including outstanding research from various industries on processes, tools, and technologies.
- Act as a business partner to ensure compliance to Seaspan guidelines, purchasing policies and procedures
- Supports the development of supply chain management training materials.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- Diploma in relevant subject area (Business, Economic or Law preferred). Bachelor’s degree is desirable.
- Completion of Purchasing Management Association of Canada (PMAC) education program for the new Supply Chain Management Professional (SCMP) or (former) Certified Professional Purchaser (CPP) designation, or American Purchasing Society or The Association for Operations Management (APICS) CPIM program is preferred.
- Minimum 7 years of experience in supply chain management with a combination of operational and strategic procurement. Including experience in managing projects from start to finish (e.g. major change initiatives, policy/procedure deployment, etc.); and
- Minimum 5 years of experience leading cross-functional business teams in strategic sourcing, contract management, supplier relationship management, and supplier development; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in large company procurement preferred with experience in heavy manufacturing, construction or transportation is an asset.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Knowledge of strategic sourcing, contracting, contract law, competitive bidding, supplier development, category management, negotiation, and contracts administration and management.
- Ability to develop, collaborative relationships with both internal business partners and external advisors and suppliers.
- Ability to work alone and with minimal oversight to accomplish goals and objectives.
- Knowledge of best practices in supply chain management, procurement, material management, inventory control, distribution and logistics;
- Knowledge of analytical techniques and financial concepts to define and solve complex problems.
- Communicate effectively verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Interpersonal skills including problem-solving, decision-making and leadership.
- Strong customer service focus
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. Furthermore, we are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and we will work with you to support your request.