Customer Service Operations Coordinator
Job Grade - 2
The Customer Service & Operations Coordinator (CSOC) is primarily accountable for the safe and efficient handling of all traffic between the Mainland terminals and Vancouver Island terminals with a strong focus on customer service. This role facilitates the end-to-end process from a customer inquiry, any required paperwork/documentation, complete and accurate BOL data review/entry, loading/unloading vessels, coordinate terminal operations and monitoring unit movements until delivery to the customer has been completed.
This role will support multiple functions of the 24/7 operation through all terminals. The CSOC will be key in providing oversight for efficient loading and unloading of the vessels, assisting with customer requests for movement of commercial traffic, accountable for a seamless check-in and check-out process using internal programs and hold a certification in handling of dangerous goods.
The CSOC will be accountable to lead and communicate during irregular operational events, enacting contingencies and escalating as required.
- Handles all reservations from one terminal to another. Proactively recognizes and follows up with customers when reservations are not being met or customers are late.
- Effectively communicates with the dispatchers, drivers and customers both in person, over email and over the phone and delivers outstanding customer service throughout all interactions.
- Proactively books additional business to increase revenue and improve vessel utilization. Assists with payments for all walk-up customers, ensures transaction completeness and accuracy.
- Takes inventory of all trailers on terminal and tracks all inbound units to ensure customers can track their inventory in our service using our online system.
- Understand, practice and achieve the Customer Level Service standards established by the organization and complete all related training as required.
- Responsible for the daily terminal activities in accordance with the terminal SOP set by the Manager, Terminal Operations.
- Maintain full certification for handling dangerous goods units and ensure terminals are upholding requirements to be safe and compliant.
- Ensures all vessels are loaded to the best capacity possible within the turnaround times allowed for in the service schedule. Ensures that all safety requirements are met during loading and acts as the main point of contact for any emergency response until relieved by Manager.
- Accurately enters information into BOL system to allow for accurate invoicing to be generated down the line.
- Monitors marine weather station, in concert with vessel crews keeps overall operation and customers updated of any adverse weather conditions, and possible schedule revisions
- Assists Supervisor, Customer Service in preparing and maintaining contract staff schedules and reconciling their hours worked.
- Participate in all aspects of terminal safety and attend safety meetings whenever possible.
Education and Experience
- Completion of Grade 12 education plus a Certificate in Handling Dangerous Goods;
- A minimum of 5 years logistics and customer service experience within the Marine/Transportation industry.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proficient with computer software applications (MS Word, Excel, Adobe, Outlook, SharePoint etc.).
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment continually looking for improvement opportunities.
- Comfortable working in a fast – changing dynamic atmosphere and ability to handle high pressure situations, make safe and quick decisions with limited information and prioritize subsequent tasks without direction.
- Thorough knowledge in terminal operations and marine transportation, with the ability to address staff, traffic & vessel concerns professionally while ensuring tasks are completed in a timely fashion.
- Outgoing with a positive attitude, multi- customer environment focused on understanding inquiries, identifying root causes, and growing the business.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. Furthermore, we are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and we will work with you to support your request.