Subcontracts Specialist III
Job Grade - 5
The Subcontracts Specialist III is part of a team focused on the management of subcontracts to support new vessel construction. The role is focused on the subcontracting activities leading up to award which includes the management of the entire bid process, proposal analysis, the formation of the subcontract and all the activities associated with the post award administration of the subcontracts. The scope of the role includes serving as the primary point of contact for the sourcing of Vendor Furnished Information as required for the execution of one or more projects. The role requires the coordination of negotiations of standard subcontract business terms and conditions, ongoing administration of subcontract elements including milestones, deliverables, issues, action items and payments.
Duties and Accountabilities
Bid Process Management:
- Managing the prequalification and selection of bidders.
- Preparing and issuing Request for Proposal documents by preparing the commercial content and obtaining the technical content.
- Supervising and maintaining the integrity of the bid process; coordinating questions and answers and issue relevant addendums if required.
- Conducting bid opening ceremonies and managing bid clarification meetings.
- Coordinating technical evaluations and conducting commercial evaluations, coordinating negotiations and managing recommendation for award.
- Reviewing subcontract terms and conditions and considering and recommending special terms and conditions as required.
- Meeting scheduled milestones from the RFP thru Award.
- Preparing and issuing Recommendation to Proceed and seek approval.
- Preparing and issuing the Subcontracts for execution.
- Issuing letters of regret to unsuccessful suppliers.
- Managing and controlling changes relating to cost and schedule.
- Monitoring and reporting on supplier’s progress and conduct progress meetings.
- Approving milestone payments, ensuring that contract deliverables and payment milestones have been achieved and approved prior to payment.
- Administering supplier claims.
- Developing, processing and implementing contractual documents and change orders in a timely manner.
- Expediting deliverables to ensure on time receipt of deliverables (Data and Equipment).
- Administrating contracts in accordance with general requirements of contractual terms and conditions.
- Maintaining various registers and as per project specific instructions.
- Ensuring deliverables and inputs from all stakeholders.
- Managing performance of suppliers.
- Performing subcontract close-out.
Education and Experience
- A diploma or bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Business, Science, Finance or Law.
- A minimum of 6 years’ experience in procurement or contract administration, preferably in the shipbuilding industry.
- Professional certification or training through an accredited procurement society such as the Purchasing Management Association of Canada (PMAC) or New Supply Chain Management Professional (SCMP), The Logistics Institute (P. Log.), American Purchasing Society or The Association for Operations Management (APICS) CPIM program is desirable.
- Experience in a project environment on capital projects.
- Proven track record and considerable experience in the establishment, ongoing management and maintenance of multi-million-dollar subcontracts
Skills, Knowledge and Competencies
- Advanced procurement skills and ability to effectively administer at least ten (10) subcontracts following award, including the negotiation of change orders, minimizing exposure to claims and pro-actively mitigating risks
- Proven ability to administer large packages with a medium complexity including the ability to incorporate the specifications into request for proposal packages, to lead the bid evaluation and selection, coordinate negotiation, and execute subcontracts.
- Track record of making sound business judgment and decision-making skills in a manner consistent with the essential job functions.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Extensive administrative skills and experience in tracking subcontractor contract milestones, deliverables, issues, action items and payments.
- Strong customer service and diplomacy skills.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, prioritize work and to problem solve in an inclusive manner with internal colleagues and external parties.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite (Word/Excel/PowerPoint).
- Ability to work effectively with limited direction and function as a key team member.
- Excellent understanding of procurement processes and corporate governance principles.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with materials management, expediting, quality surveillance and logistics.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. Furthermore, we are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and we will work with you to support your request.