Human Resources Generalist
Job Grade - 4
The Human Resources Generalist will partner with the business to understand and anticipate opportunities for the delivery of HR support and programs. The Human Resources Generalist will lead Respect in the Workplace investigations in collaboration with our Victoria Shipyards team. The role will receive regular direction and guidance from our Senior HR Business Partner for Victoria Shipyard. The role will offer numerous opportunities for independent work in a fast-paced, vibrant environment.
The Human Resources Generalist reports to the Director, HR Consulting and Program Delivery.
Note: This position qualifies for an optional hybrid work schedule after 90 days of onsite work and onboarding. Employee will be subject to the terms of the Flexible Work Policy Agreement.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with Senior HR Business Partner and HR Team to implement and deliver employee life-cycle processes and programs.
- Provide direction to hiring managers on the performance management life-cycle process, including goal setting, career development, mid-year reviews and year-end reviews.
- Support managers to identify employee performance concerns and provide recommendations to address those concerns.
- Conduct Respect in the Workplace investigations in collaboration with Victoria Shipyards personnel and Employee Relations Teams.
- Responsible for coordinating all paperwork and reporting changes resulting from promotions, reorganizations, and other internal movements.
- Collaborate with the Recruitment Team and hiring managers to understand talent gaps and support full-cycle recruitment efforts.
- Provide hiring managers with guidance on the interpretation of internal policies, guidelines, and procedures.
- Coordinate and deliver internal training, where applicable, with our Learning & Development Team.
- Participate in and lead onboarding activities for new Victoria Shipyards employees.
- Drive innovative solutions and streamline processes to improve the delivery of HR support and programs.
- Other related duties as assigned.
What you’ll bring
- A degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or equivalent is required.
- 3-5 years of experience in human resources in a unionized environment is also required.
- CPHR designation or working towards designation is an asset.
- Experience providing HR support across geographically separated work locations.
Why you’ll love working here
- This is a full-time, permanent position. With multiple operations and long-term projects, Seaspan employees enjoy job stability as we look ahead to build ships for decades to come.
- In addition to an annual bonus and pension plan matching, this role provides you a very competitive salary in line with the successful candidate’s experience.
- We also provide a best-in-class health and wellness benefits package for this position, including such things as full health care (e.g. unlimited physiotherapy), dental, vision, life insurance, medical leave coverage, maternity and parental leave coverage, childcare benefit partnership, wellness/fitness reimbursement for memberships or registration fees, and an Employee Family Assistance Program (EFAP).
Seaspan Shipyards: Seaspan Shipyards is one of North America’s most modern shipyards and unique in its ability to provide a complete range of services including new construction, conversion, refit, repair and life-cycle maintenance work for Canada’s Coast Guard and Navy as well as commercial vessels including cruise-ships and deep-sea vessels. Seaspan Shipyards operations include Vancouver Shipyards, Vancouver Drydock and Victoria Shipyards.
To learn more, visit our website: www.seaspan.com
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. Furthermore, we are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and we will work with you to support your request.